Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Orhan Pamuk Interview in the New York Times

Orhan Pamuk was interviewed by the NY Times on Nov 8th. When asked, "What book is on your nightstand right now?" Pamuk replied "Ferdowsi's Shahnameh, subtitled "The Persian Book of Kings" now available in a Penguin CLassics edition. He continues that this book is "a great ocean of stories" that he browses from time to time. At the heart of the epic "is the great warrior Sohrab's search for his father, Rustum (Rostam) who, without knowing that Sohran is his son, kills him in a fight."

The interview continues...
You can bring three books to a desert island. Which do you choose?
Encyclopaedia Britannica’s 1911 edition, the first edition of “Encyclopaedia of Islam” (1913-1936) and Resat Ekrem Kocu’s “Encyclopedia of Istanbul” (1958-1971), which I wrote about in my book “Istanbul,” will keep me busy for 10 years. My imagination works best with facts — especially if they are a bit dated. After 10 years they should pick me up from the desert island to publish the novels I wrote there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment